- Opening hours
mon tue wed thu fri sat sun 1
Highlights from the Catholic University of Lublin Collection on its centenary
October 13th – December 30th, 2016
the Gallery of Temporary Exhibitions (second floor)
The exhibition, which presents the 100 masterpieces of art from the John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin (KUL) Museum Collection, announces the celebration of the University’s centenary in 2018.
From October till December 2016 the Royal Castle in Warsaw will host 100 pieces of art that represent Polish and European painting, mediaeval and early modern sculpture and decorative arts objects. The diversity of the collection, in terms of both artistic genres and chronology, results from their eventful history. It began with the donation of Rev. Jan Władziński (1861–1935), who provided the institution with “a collection of historic relics and period objects from all over the country”. In December 1939 these works of art were confiscated by the Germans never to be recovered again. After World War II the reborn University did remember its pre-war museum traditions. Thanks to the generosity of church institutions and individual donators the KUL collection has managed to gather over 1,700 objects over the last 60 years.
The exhibition will include paintings and drawings by eminent Polish artists of the 19th century, such as Piotr Michałowski and Jan Matejko, those that lived at the turn of the centuries, like Józef Chełmoński, Leon Wyczółkowski, Józef Mehoffer, Jacek Malczewski and his son, Rafał, as well as Włodzimierz Tetmajer and Józef Pankiewicz, and 20th-century painters: Antoni Michalak and Jerzy Nowosielski.
Among foreign paintings the most noteworthy are Ecce Homo by a Netherlandish follower of Juan de Flandes, ca. 1574; Sacra Conversazione attributed to the Venetian workshop of Francesco Rizzo da Santacroce, active in the 1st half of the 16th c.; Landscape with Lot and His Daughters (after 1600) by a Flemish mannerist painter Marten van Valckenborch and Singerie, a 17th-century copy of David Teniers the Younger’s painting.
Mediaeval sculptures made in the most illustrious late-Gothic Silesian workshops are another highlight of the exhibition. The most precious among them are: the statue of St. Catherine of Alexandria, referred to as The Golden Catherine, from a Silesian house belonging to the St. Catherine’s Monastery, sculpted by Jacob Beinhart; sculpture of St. Sebastian from the workshop of the Master of the Gościszowice Altar, and a winged altar of the Great Holy Family from the Three Magi Church in Kliczków, made ca. 1520. They will go along with high-class Baroque sculptures.
Another group of objects displayed is porcelain from the best European manufactories, especially in Meissen, Vienna and Berlin.
The KUL Museum Collection will be accompanied with 9 manuscripts, incunabula and documents from the Special Collections of the University Library. Among the most precious manuscripts is the Decretum Gratiani, ca. 1150, an illuminated collection of canon law compiled by Gratian, a monk from Bologna. This manuscript from Lublin, one of 6 of the kind that have been preserved in Poland, was written in Toulouse ca. 1300 and decorated with 38 colour miniatures in the French Gothic style. Royal charters will also be displayed together with an early-19th-century handwritten Register of Ancient and Olden-Style Relics […] of the Gothic House.
Tuesday – Saturday: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Admission with a ticket (free of charge) to receive at the Ticket Office or with a Castle tour ticket.